Friday, October 1, 2010

YayBoo for me too

Maddy did it and so am I.

*~Yay~* We went to the Royal Show
I love the Show and I have great memories of the Shows of my youth.  Like the time my Mum and I went to the Royal Easter Show when I was very small.  At the end of the day it was raining and awful and so Mum left me with a policeman at the Police Portable Van while she went to get the car. I have an abiding memory of sitting on a bench in front of a big policeman while eating a drippy chocolate paddlepop and seeing dark grey stormy skies out the van window.

More memories, riding the Hurricane with my Mum and us both laughing hysterically as we were whirled and thrown up and down with our tummies flying. Going on the Loop de Loop which flipped us up upside down. At the peak of the ride all the stuff in Mum's pockets emptied out and fell to the ground below while we giggled together. (She got her stuff back once we were on the ground.) Mum is great fun to ride with.

The year I got a stack of Showbags with lollies and chocolates and our dog ate them all, I was devastated.  The following year, I got Showbags again and we locked my Bags in the Ping-Pong room, on the ping-pong table with my cousin's Bags. That bloody dog leaped onto the wall outside the room and squeezed himself through the very narrow opening in the awning window and ate all MY bags but left my cousin's alone.  Even more tears that year.

This year we had a ball at the Show, my Mum accompanied us and we spent some happy times laughing on rides together.  She can't go on any high rides any more because she's developed old-person-vertigo (she's not that old, 59). Now she feels sick if rides go up and down, but if they go round and round she's fine. So we rode the crazy spinning rides together and took turns taking the kids on rides and tBG and I went on the extreme rides. Like this one.

That's us under the empty orange chairs at the top right
We saw prize-wining bulls and prize-winning roosters and prize-winning scones, muffins, quilts and shoes. We ate hot dogs, lollies, chocolate and fairy floss balls bigger than our heads.

L-R (back) tMG, my Marmie, tPP, (at front) tLG

All in all a great day out.

*Boo* R.I.P Ivy
 She was fine at 11am, dead on her side by 1pm.  Poor Ivy, the Unknown Chickeh. I never really got much of a sense of her personality, except I did think she was a quiet chickeh. She would stretch her head up high and make a quiet, breathy attempt at a cackle. But her poos were fine (blerk, it's amazing how much a poo can tell you about henhealth look at your own risk) and she was eating, drinking and getting along well.



Bizarrely, we found her after I'd invited our Crazy Neighbour over to view the birds.  I was all "Oh they're doing great" and "we love the hens" and "they're in such good shape" and then ... there's Ivy lying down with her eyes shut. I thought maybe she was just lying down like she was having a dust bath.  So I walked over saying "Maybe she's having a dirt-bath, hahaha, they look so dead when they're doing that, I'm sure she'll jump up and run away" but she didn't.  She was dead and Crazy Neighbour must have thought I was the delusional crazy one, because she kept saying "Oh, she's dead. She's definitely dead."

So passeth the first bird.  And when informed, the children were saddened but immediately asked when we would get another, because they are resilient little persons.

7 comments:

  1. Nooo! RIP Ivy...poor Chickchick. I'm sorry, Pundie. So goes the circle of life. Still, my heart hurts reading that. :(
    The Royal Show looks like so much fun! Glad you all have a great time. That's some serious looking fairy floss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor chook. RIP Ivy.

    What wonderful memories of the show you have. Glad you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor Ivy. Am so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your chook. :( I'm glad that she ended her days happily in your garden though. We had one that died recently for no reason that we could see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about Ivy. You must miss her a lot.

    That ride looks CRAZY! But also crazy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Pundy...such a great yay (loved hearing about your memories)and such a sad boo...My condolences on your loss of Ivy.
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such a great day at the Royal Show (though, I became a bit light headed at the sight of that photograph:)

    And I'm so sorry about Ivy:(

    ReplyDelete

"Scout yonder's been readin' ever since she was born." I wasn't quite so precocious but I do love reading comments!